Max Smeiman Pr Eng
Experienced, dynamic, supply chain professional with years of expertise in complex supply chain environments where the optimisation of manufacturing and logistics forms the core of business performance improvement. Well known in the supply chain community and is regarded as the leading supply chain thought leader in South Africa.
He has a BSc. (Hons) degree in Industrial Engineering from the University of Pretoria and a MBA from the University of South Africa (UNISA). He is in the process of completing his PhD in Industrial Engineering.
Max is the Managing Partner of Max Smeiman and Associates, a Supply Chain Strategy Group founded in 2004. Focusing on the Supply Chain Strategy and turnaround for a select group of blue chip local and international clients.
Previously Max was the Chief Technology and Strategy Officer and a Main Board member of DNA Supply Chains Ltd. DNA was the only fourth party logistics firm in South Africa and listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange. In this role he was responsible for the design and operations of the DNA supply chain technology architecture and the integration of this platform with a diverse portfolio of client ranging from FMCG to Automotive.
He was the founder of Jumpoint, a leading supply chain strategy and technology group in South Africa which he sold to DNA. Before this he was the Supply Chain Partner designate at Arthur Andersen and the Principal lead for Supply Chain Planning and optimisation for PwC.
- Schooled in most of the leading Supply Chain Planning and optimisation technologies.
- Collaborative Demand Planning & CPFR, SCOR, Efficient Consumer Response (ECR)
- Category Management, Distribution Resource Planning, Demand Planning and Supply Network Optimisation
- Manufacturing Planning Strategy (JIT, OPT, TOC, MRPII), Finite Scheduling, Fulfilment Planning and Optimisation
- Supply Chain Execution & Control, Supplier Relationship Management and Maintenance Management & MRO Supply Chain Optimisation
- Strategy, Technology, Quantitative analysis, Facilitation, Advocacy, Modelling and Research surveys
Supply Chain Transformation Expert in supply chain strategy projects, manufacturing & logistics design and optimisation projects including advanced supply chain planning technology implementation projects with several local and international companies, in various sectors including Consumer Package Goods and Retail, FMCG, Petrochemical, Aerospace, Metals and Process, Paper and Pulp, Mining, Third Party Logistics and Fourth Party Logistics, covering a broad range of industries from financial institutions to government institutions, NGOs, Private and Public Sectors, and State Owned Enterprises.
He has a detailed expert understanding of Supply Chain Planning and Optimisation Technologies, and designed robust and very successful supply chain technology architecture for leading South African firms.
Max played a significant role in transforming supply chain processes at leading blue chip companies. He developed of a comprehensive supply chain blueprinting framework to assist organisations in translating corporate vision into effective supply chain optimisation and execution strategies.
Selected Professional Achievements:
- Managing Partner of Max Smeiman and Associates, 12 years
- Chief Technology Officer and Main Board member, DNA Supply Chains Ltd, 4 years
- Founder, DNA Jumpoint, 4 years, a leading supply chain strategy and technology group in South Africa in 2001
- Supply Chain Partner Designate, Arthur Andersen
Before founding Jumpoint, Max established a successful supply chain practice at Arthur Andersen. Max also provided a key role in supply chain strategy, advanced planning and execution at Coopers & Lybrand and PwC (1997-1998).
One of his key milestones is the development of a comprehensive supply chain blueprinting framework to assist organisations in translating corporate strategy into effective supply chain optimisation and execution strategies. He is trained in supply chain planning technologies like, i2 Technologies, Manugistics, SAP APO, Oracle, JD Edwards and Numetrix.